Tuesday 30 October 2012

What's new for the week of October 30 2012?

As mentioned earlier, one of the reasons for starting this blog was to keep a handle on interesting new military history releases.  So I have looked at the last week or so of Amazon books and will here list those that I find interesting.  Just to be clear, I haven’t read any of these books.  So I have no idea whether or not they are any good. Given an infinite amount of time and resources these would be the books that I would be reading.

The Generals: American Military Command from World War II to Today by Thomas E. Ricks I've been looking forward to this since I heard it was in the pipeline. I greatly enjoyed his Fiasco on Iraq from 03 through 05. For some reason I never did pick up the sequel.
We Got Him!: A Memoir of the Hunt and Capture of Saddam Hussein by Steve Russell a new paperback written by the CO of the unit that captured Hussein. I'm usually not big on first person accounts like this but for this I'd make an exception.
Border Crossings: Coming of Age in the Czech Resistance by Charles Novacek OK an other memoir but all I know about the Czech resistance is the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich.
The Army Isn't All Work: Physical Culture and the Evolution of the British Army, 1860-1920 by James D. Campbell ouch well I did say infinite money. I find studies like this that go off the beaten path to be fascinating. Physical training being at the core of good soldiering I'm surprised it's not discussed more.
Yamashita's Ghost: War Crimes, MacArthur's Justice, and Command Accountability by Allan A. Ryan I've read quite a bit on the Nuremberg trials but not much on the ones carried out in Japan.
The Persian Invasions of Greece by Arthur Keaveney I've read a lot of ancient history in my time so it has to jump out at me for me to consider it. This book does mainly because it claims to have some material from the Persian side.




No comments:

Post a Comment